ASAN has been celebrating the summer by fighting for equality in employment. What actions have you been taking to support fair wages and inclusion in the workplace? Let us know by tweeting @autselfadvocacy and using the hashtag #WorkWithUs! We’re excited to hear how your emails, comments and op-eds are going. For more information about what you can do to pass the Transformation to Competitive Employment Act, make sure to check out our email below!
Don’t forget that our proxy calling system launches in two weeks! We still need volunteers for our July 9th call-in, so if you’re one of those rare people that enjoys making phone calls, please sign up here. If you can’t use phones because of a disability, and want someone to call on your behalf, you can sign up in advance too! Use our request form here. If you don’t want to volunteer, but are still up for participating in the call-in, join our call-in event on Facebook!
Join our phone-free fight for fair pay!
If you love disability rights and hate talking on the phone, this action alert is for you!
With the right supports, people with all kinds of disabilities and support needs can have good jobs that pay us well—but too many of us are still warehoused at dead-end, segregated workshops that pay pennies on the dollar. The Transformation to Competitive Employment Act (TCEA) would end the discriminatory practice of subminimum wage, and give states and service providers the resources they need to create better employment support programs. This summer, we invite you to #WorkWithUs to make sure all people with disabilities can access integrated employment and fair wages. There are a ton of ways to take action to pass TCEA—and for now, you can do all of them without picking up a phone.
Here’s how you can take action:
- Email your members of Congress. You can use our script:
My name is [your full name], and I am from [city]. I’m writing to ask the [Senator/Representative] to support the Transformation to Competitive Employment Act. This bill would make sure that people with disabilities get to work in our communities for fair pay. With the right supports, people with all kinds of disabilities and support needs can succeed in integrated employment, and TCEA would give states and service providers the resources they need to provide those supports. Can I count on the [Senator/Representative] to support the Transformation to Competitive Employment Act?
- Use social media and #WorkWithUs to spread the word about TCEA. We have sample tweets here!
- Write an op-ed or letter to the editor for your local newspaper, letting your neighborhood know why and how they should support TCEA and real work for real pay.
To learn more about TCEA, integrated employment, and what you can do, check out ourcampaign landing page.
It’s long past time for people with disabilities to have equal opportunities and equal pay.With every action you take, you bring us closer to making that a reality.Learn how you can #WorkWithUs!
AUTISTIC SELF ADVOCACY NETWORK
PO Box 66122
Washington, DC 20035
– Autistic Self-Advoacy Network | ASAN –
- Disability Community Joint Letter on ICE Forced Sterilizations
- There was a big legislative battle here in California last year, where the hell were you faux autism advocates? | LBRB | Circa October 26, 2016
- Snapshot | Google Alerts – Autism | Circa December 19, 2011
- How an unexpected collaboration led Utah to amend its discriminatory triage plan | TheHill
- #Vaxxed, reviewed: What happened outside of the movie. – Violent metaphors | Circa June 13, 2016